the one with thoughts about christmas


I feel like I haven't blogged in forever! Weird since it's only been like . . . two days. But I have just been chilling in Boise with my husband and his family, and it's been so relaxing that it seems like forever! Have I mentioned that I love love love holiday breaks? :)

This December, I've been reading some posts from The Small Seed, a blog focused on God, faith, and joy. They've been doing a mini series called the 12 Days of Christmas where they discuss ways to put Christ back in Christmas. As I've read some of the posts, it's made me wonder . . . What can I do to put Christ back in Christmas?

Commercially, Christmas is all about the gifts. But I think spiritually, Christmas is still all about gifts. 

The two things that stand out in my mind of how I can turn my focus to Christ during this Christmas season (and those to come) are:

1. Be more grateful for all the gifts in my life.
It's been so easy to spend this December thinking about everything I want for Christmas . . . a new straightener, running shoes, and grey boots, to name a few things. But I've realized that I haven't spent much time thinking about all the gifts I already have . . . a cozy home, two wonderful families (mine and his), the Gospel, delicious food to eat, good friends, and of course, the greatest husband of all time. Today, I heard this woman mention how Christmas intrudes on Thanksgiving--what with Christmas decorations going up and Christmas music being played both as soon as Halloween is over. She went on to say that it really should be the other way around--Thanksgiving should intrude on Christmas, because we should cultivate more of an attitude of gratitude. This is definitely something I can work on, and I know that if I focus more on being grateful for what I have, instead of wishing for things I want, it will bring me closer to Christ and bring me greater happiness.

2. Remember that Christ gave us all the ultimate gift.
This second thing is really part of the first thing, but I think it's important enough to make it separate. Jesus Christ came to the earth just the same as you and me, but He had a mission, and his mission was to save the world. He is the only perfect being, and therefore the only one who was capable of carrying out this mission. He gave His life to show His love. He gave His life to give us hope. He gave His life so that we could all live again. And when I think about this ultimate gift from God and His Son, I wonder How can I be so selfish to want anything else? It reminds me to get some perspective, and remember that I am so blessed. It reminds me to focus on my Savior.

I hope that this year, and in future years, we can all remember what Christmas is really about. Let us all remember to keep Christ in Christmas. What do you do to remember Him throughout this season?


**ashleynicole

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

our first murder mystery

5 on friday

it's a love story {part 5}