it's a love story {the proposal}

Remember how Russ and I decided to get married? Well that was the 23rd-ish of January. Before we could really get engaged, I needed to meet his family (we went up for a visit over President's Day weekend in February) and he needed to buy me a ring.

Problem was, he was broke.

So for a while, we kept waiting to get engaged, all while starting to plan wedding details. The problem was, people kept asking me if we were engaged, and I didn't really know what to tell them. I mean, we had a wedding date scheduled in the temple, but I had no ring on my finger.

So I told Russ I was sick of not being engaged and that I would really appreciate it if he'd propose that weekend, with a plastic ring or whatever. I just wanted to be officially engaged!

Well, he was great and he did propose that weekend :) Here's how he did it:

If you'll recall, the first time we figured out that we both actually liked each other was when our FHE group went up to Temple Square to see the Christmas lights. So basically, what he did was recreate that night.

When our FHE group went, we took the TRAX, so when he took me up again, we took TRAX again :)




When we got up there, we walked around and looked around, talking, laughing, and (of course) kissing.

Then we went into the Joseph Smith Memorial Building, which we had done in December.

When we got up there and were looking out at the temple again, he asked if I remembered what he'd told me the last time we were up there. I told him I remembered that he had pointed to a building and told me that's where his dad had proposed to his mom.

He then asked what I had been thinking when he'd told me. [He already knew the answer.] I told him that my first thought had been Why is he telling me about his parents' engagement? We're not even dating yet! And that my second thought had been That'd be weird if he proposed to me someday . . . So then he asked, "How do you feel about it [a proposal] now?" and I said, "I think I'd be okay with that." (With a big smile, of course!)

So then he got down on one knee and said, "Ashley Nicole, will you marry me?" :) Of course I said yes and then I made him get up and hug and kiss me :)



The placeholder ring he got me was a CTR ring with two hearts, which he said were mine and his :) Haha, what a romantic! :)


So it was great :) I may have known he was going to propose, but I was just glad he thought of a nice way to do it and had kept the way of proposing to me a surprise. Most of all, I was just so happy that it was finally official that we were getting married!! :)

engaged 2 March 2012



And a few weeks later, at the end of April, I finally got my real ring :)


Saying yes to Russ was one of the best decisions I ever made, because he brings joy into my life just by being in it! :) 

Thanks for reading along! If you have your proposal story posted, leave a link in a comment for me to go read yours, too! :)


 photo AshleySIG_zpsf3e0719e.png

Comments

  1. I remember this whole thing happening! I remember we would sit next to each other in that research methods class (both of us showing up late every day . . . haha) and you'd keep me updated on if he had proposed yet every time, and you were so excited when you finally got that ctr ring! Good times. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha that was a fun semester :) And now you're done and I'm . . . not. Haha :)

      Delete
  2. Oh, and ps, I'll text you later this week or next week so I can show you some ropes on Etsy shops :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha--I can relate to this story quite a bit actually! Angel and I already planned on getting married before we were engaged, but he wanted to propose in person so he didn't propose to me until his next visit (about 2 months after we'd decided to get married!) and I got a temporary ring, too. I didn't "upgrade" till we'd already been married 9 months, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that is quite similar! Funny how we can all have different stories but then have common threads that tie us together :)

      Delete
  4. what an adorable story--and a stunning ring! wowza!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, here's my (not as cute) proposal story http://watsonwonderland.blogspot.com/2015/07/the-proposal.html :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave some comment love! And if you're a no-reply blogger, check back here for my replies :)

Popular posts from this blog

our first murder mystery

5 on friday

it's a love story {part 5}