getaway weekend

Ohhhh getaway weekends. I'm not about painting a picture-perfect life on this little blog of mine. I paint the real thing--real life, real love, ya know? ;) Which, granted, is usually pretty great, but somehow, our getaway weekend started off not-so-perfect.

For starters, I was supposed to pick Russ up from work at 2pm so that we would get to Logan (2-hour drive) before dinnertime. We only had about 24 hours of getaway, so I wanted to make the most of every minute! Unfortunately, everything on Friday morning went slower than expected, so not only did I not get to Russ until 3:30, but by that time I didn't even have make-up on or my hair done cute. Talk about looking good for the getaway, right?

But we got on the road and got over it, mostly because Russ is nice. He wasn't mad that I was late, and he didn't care that I didn't have make-up on. Two points for Russ.

The next thing that was wrong was the fact that we were both so tired! We went to bed late on Thursday night, so our energy levels were down for pretty much the whole weekend. No good when you want to party and play together non-stop!

Around 5, we checked into our hotel. The Anniversary Inn is a fancy hotel where all the rooms are themed. We stayed there on the first night of our honeymoon, but haven't been back since because the place is expensive. But we wanted to go back this year, so we did. Unfortunately, we waited too long to book a room, so by the time we did, there weren't many options left. We thought about postponing our getaway weekend for another two weeks so that we could get a room that we wanted more, but Russ wanted to go this weekend, so I agreed. Especially because there was one room still available that sounded pretty good to me. We stayed in Joanie's Diner. But, hitch number three in our getaway weekend was that when we got to our room, we didn't love it. An expensive room and we weren't even crazy about it. *sigh*

We didn't stay for long because we had arranged to go out to dinner with Russ's friend, Tim, and his little family. I met Tim when Russ and I were engaged; Russ and I went out to California on a road trip so that we could go to Tim's wedding. I really like Tim because he is a genuine friend, so I was all for spending a little bit of our weekend catching up with him and Whitney and their new little one, Ewan.

sadly, we took no pictures with them :( but here's what they all look like! haha
We ate dinner at Firehouse Pizzeria, which was delicious. Tim and Whitney spent dinner trying to convince us to never have children haha :) (They were mostly kidding . . . I think.) It was fun to be with them, though :)

After we said our goodbyes, we went to The Bluebird for dessert. We got an ice cream sundae, which was, unfortunately, pretty mediocre--strike 4. But that could be because I was already full from dinner, Russ chose the toppings (he and I don't agree on what toppings are good), and I had canker sores that made eating miserable. How sad when you can't even find joy in one of your favorite pastimes! Haha ;)


After dessert, we went back to the hotel. Annnd unfortunately, I moved weird and my pump site got pulled out, and of course I hadn't brought any extras--strike 5. I did have a needle though, so I just had to use that (but bloodsugars are never as good when using needles to keep you on track). So as you can probably tell, we'd had a few strikes against a perfect weekend. But despite the strikes, we were still having a good time being together. We settled into the giant king-bed to watch Runaway Bride, a movie we watched together on our honeymoon. I loved cuddling with Russ :)


After the movie, we went to sleep. Or at least, Russ did, and I tried. Strike 6 was the super bright-lit jukebox in our room that I couldn't figure out how to turn off, coupled with the bed and pillow that were not mine, and were, therefore, not comfortable. A crappy night's sleep wasn't exactly what I'd had in mind, but around 3am I finally fell asleep for the rest of the night.

Fortunately, we didn't have a stressful day ahead of us on Saturday, so grumpiness didn't make an appearance :) At the Inn, they bring breakfast . . .


So we tried to have a romantic breakfast in bed, but ended up moving to the more stable diner table. We had to enjoy our little diner while we had it! Which, by the way, turned out to be pretty good, even if we were less-than-thrilled initially.

We had a lovely morning, watched another movie (Failure to Launch), and enjoyed every last minute we got in our themed room before checking out at noon.

Next, we went to Gossner Foods, a dairy factory. Sounds romantic, right? Haha but Russ loves cheese, and he's actually passed that love on to me as well, so we had some crackers and cheese samples (enough to qualify as lunch) and got root beer flavored milk, too. It was actually really fun :)


We then went back to the Anniversary Inn because they do tours from 1-3pm, so we checked out some of the other rooms. They have some way cool themes, and I already want to go back!

The last place we went was the Brigham City temple to do some sealings. After all, can't celebrate an anniversary without remembering the promises we've made to each other and to God :)


So maybe a few things didn't go perfectly on our getaway weekend, but all in all, we still had an amazing time together. That's kind of the beauty of marriage . . . it doesn't make life perfect, but it makes all those little strikes and hitches not matter as much, because you always have each other. I'm so grateful that I'll have Russ forever :)


 photo AshleySIG_zpsf3e0719e.png

Comments

  1. Even though things weren't perfect it still sounds like a fun getaway! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, despite all the hitches in the plan, it was definitely fun :) I already want another one . . . haha! :)

      Delete
  2. At least you have a funny story to tell now! Our very first day of marriage was similarly awful and looking back on it brings us to tears we're laughing so hard. And I got curious and looked up the place you stayed and it looks AWESOME! I'm in TN, but want to come out to UT just to stay at that place. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah, I really think I made it sound worse than it was, but in the beginning I really wondered if the weekend would ever get better! Luckily, Russ is great, so that influenced the weekend for the better :)

      And YES! It is so cool! And the pictures don't even do it justice. I looked at several rooms online and was kind of like "ehhh" about them, but then when we toured a few of the rooms and saw them in person, I wanted to stay in ALL OF THEM. They're awesome. Definitely worth the trip if you ever make it out here :)

      Delete
  3. The imperfections are what make it memorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yup, ain't that the truth. But it really turned out pretty great, even though it got off to a not-so-good start :) I'm just glad the problems were external things, because last year, we kind of got in a fight when we were supposed to celebrate our anniversary, so even though we resolved things pretty quickly, it just killed the romantic mood and we couldn't even celebrate. So I'll take late starts and uncomfortable beds over that any day! Haha :)

      Delete
  4. sometimes the best weekends are when everything went wrong! when jordan and i were first married, our toilet overflowed randomly one night. (while we were making out, no less) even though it was NOT funny at the time, it's like my favorite memory now. the only thing i really feel sad about is your canker sores/not being able to enjoy the food. bluebird is amazing & that's just sad. i'm glad you were able to get away, even if it went a little less than smooth :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha what an inopportune time for a toilet to overflow! But that's good that it's a fun memory now :) and yeah, I agree--the canker sores were probably the worst part of the whole thing. Oh well, if that's the worst part, I guess I can't complain much :)

      Delete
  5. okay--loved this post! so funny and yet still so perfect! sorry things didn't go as smoothly as you wanted, but the weekend still sounds dreamy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I'm glad you enjoyed it :) it was a good weekend, despite the things that went wrong :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Leave some comment love! And if you're a no-reply blogger, check back here for my replies :)

Popular posts from this blog

our first murder mystery

5 on friday

it's a love story {part 5}