valentine treat

Sugar cookies have always been more of a Christmas cookie at my house, but this year I made some for Valentine's Day because sugar cookies are pretty dang delicious so why not enjoy them more than once per year?

I've had many sugar cookies in my life, but this is the only recipe I absolutely love. It's perfect! Enjoy :)


Ingredients:
1/4 c. Shortening
1/4 c. Butter
1 c. Sugar
1 Egg
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
2 2/3 c. Flour
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
1/2 c. Sour Cream

Directions:
Cream together shortening, butter, sugar, egg, and vanilla. Add sifted dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg) alternately with the sour cream. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Roll dough out to be 1/4 inch think. Cut into shapes and place on a greased cookie sheet with at least an inch between shapes (so they don't stick together). Bake for 5-8 minutes. Makes about 35 cookies (with about a 3-inch diameter if the cookies are circles).

Personally, I'd say 5 minutes is enough, and then you can leave the cookies on the sheet for another minute or two outside the oven. Also, R & I now use half white/half wheat flour, which hasn't bothered me in any recipe until now. I would definitely say you should use white flour with this recipe so that they taste how they're supposed to ;)

For the Frosting:
Don't you dare use store-bought frosting because that stuff is nasty. Instead whip up your own. Use a hand mixer (or some type of automatic mixer) to combine 4 Tablespoons butter, 2 cups powdered sugar, a Tablespoon or two of milk, and a splash of vanilla. Add food coloring to get desired colors.


Like I said, these are the best sugar cookies ever. Let me know what you think if you make them!

What are your favorite Valentine's Day treats? :)


**ashleynicole

Comments

  1. do you have any tips for HOW to frost cookies and make it look good? i totally suck at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I'm no pro, but I found that kind of swirling the knife in circles while spreading helped to make the frosting look more even and pretty . . . but that's all I've got! Haha :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Leave some comment love! And if you're a no-reply blogger, check back here for my replies :)

Popular posts from this blog

our first murder mystery

5 on friday

it's a love story {part 5}