the one with the introduction

In becoming a more avid blogger, I've decided that some days of the week will be set aside for certain types of posts. Every Sunday will be "Spiritual Sunday." 

On Spiritual Sundays, I will share my thoughts and feelings about Jesus Christ and His teachings. I will share these things from my perspective, which means that what I say will be colored by the fact that I am a Mormon. 

Before that scares you away from reading on Sundays, let me share a story with you.  

* * * * * 

A couple weeks ago, Russ and I had a yard sale. I have no problems getting rid of stuff that I no longer use, so I went through my closet at my parents' house and rounded up a great big pile of everything that was just collecting dust.

Among the items was framed quote that I probably got from Young Women or Relief Society [those are groups in my church]. The quote talked about the Atonement of Jesus Christ. It was a nice quote, but I knew that I wasn't ever going to use that cheap frame to decorate my home, so into the pile it went.

Near the end of the garage sale, an old man in a wheel chair came to check out our stuff. He was the most talkative person of the day! Quite entertaining. 

He came across the framed quote, read it, and then said, "I'd buy this except that it says the quote is from the Ensign!" (The Ensign is a magazine my church puts out.) He went on to say how the quote was really nice, but he just couldn't handle the fact that it came from the Ensign.

* * * * * 

This encounter baffled me. I didn't understand why he would reject something that made him feel good just because of its source.

In The Book of Mormon (similar to the Bible) there is a scripture that says, "But behold, that which is of God inviteth and enticeth to do good continually; wherefore, every thing which inviteth and enticeth to do good, and to love God, and to serve him, is inspired of God." (Moroni 7:13)

It's basically saying, "If it's good, it's from God."

So it baffled me that this man would acknowledge the fact that this quote made him feel good, and then act like it came from the devil. "If it's good, it's from God." Right?

I believe that there are numerous sources of good in the world. True, I am a Mormon, and I believe the doctrine that I learn at church is the true doctrine of Jesus Christ; I won't back down from that belief. But I also believe that you can find good other places. Just because I don't believe everything taught at other churches doesn't mean that I don't believe there is good in other churches. There is!

So here is my hope. As I share something each Sunday, I hope you will read with an open heart.You don't have to believe all that I say, or even anything that I say. My goal isn't to make everyone into Mormons, but rather to share good things that elicit good feelings. So please, don't shut out my Sunday posts just because you're not a Mormon. Read what I have to say, and then you can judge for yourself whether you think I'm sharing good things or not. My only hope is to draw others to Christ in whatever way they are seeking.

Feel free to share your thoughts and responses in the comment section :)


**ashleynicole

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

our first murder mystery

5 on friday

it's a love story {part 5}