it's a love story {wedding day}

As I said last week, I had a PREception--a reception the night before my wedding--which was the best decision ever. Why? Because it meant that I got to really just enjoy my wedding day, without having any stress about trying to fit everything into one day or about something going wrong. Nothing could go wrong . . . it was my wedding day!

Our wedding was scheduled for about 2pm, so I had the whole morning to get ready and make sure I had everything packed for the honeymoon. Russ and I then drove up to the Salt Lake City temple together.

Our wedding ceremony was small in comparison to many. We had only our parents, our siblings (except Chantry because she hasn't been through the temple), grandparents, aunts and uncles, and a few friends. Sadly, none of my best friends or cousins closest to my age could be there because they hadn't gone through the temple, either. But two of Russ's best friends from his childhood (Brad and Curtis) and one of his favorite mission companions (Neve) could be there, so that was nice.

In case you're not familiar with Mormonism, I'll give you a little bit of the low-down. We have churches, and then we have temples. We welcome any who desire to be there into our churches. But temples are more sacred. In the temple, we make certain promises to God about how we will live our lives, and in order to maintain the sacredness of the temple, only those who have made those promises are allowed to come in. Our first promises are made when we're twelve, but that only allows us into one part of the temple. The next time we make promises is either right before serving a mission or right before getting married. Occasionally, people decide to make those promises without serving a mission or getting married, but that is done only with permission from their local church leader (called a bishop) and it is usually not done in that case unless you are a little bit older, like 25. When I said none of my friends had "gone through the temple" yet, I mean none of them were married or about to serve missions, so they hadn't made those promises yet. Although it was sad to not have them in the ceremony, it will be great when they have their ceremonies because I'll be allowed to go to all of them! :)

One thing that was really awesome was that my whole entire family was in the temple all together for the first time ever. I was the last to get married, so every single one of my siblings and their spouses, as well as my parents, were there with me and Russ on our wedding day. It was a special day :)

And even though my friends couldn't be in the ceremony, they were all there waiting when we came out of the temple doors!

husband and wife!





After the initial hugging and picture-taking, several more photos were taken outside the temple. Good thing we'd had the reception the night before, because wedding day was CRAZY WINDY! But I didn't even care, because I was just so happy to finally be married to my amazing man :) The wind made for some funny pictures, but it also made for a few really great ones. I mean, hello model hair! Haha ;)

all of our family and friends that came to support us that day :) (including those who couldn't even attend the ceremony . . . that's how small our ceremony was!)

my family and friends
my grandparents
russ's family and friends

the cameraman snuck in! but that's cuz he's my brother :)
bridesmaids--both real and honorary. sarah, caroline, me, ashlee, kristalyn
the wedding party


my family

russ's family

both families 













sealed for time and all eternity 9 june 2012
Following the pictures, we went to the Old Spaghetti Factory for our wedding dinner. Both of our dads said a few words, as well as our best man and maid of honor. I have pictures of this, but not on this computer, so unfortunately I can't share them here. Oh yeah, and remember how my cake lady didn't have my cake done in time for the reception? Well she brought it up to Salt Lake so we could enjoy it with our dinner. Better late than never, right?

Following dinner, we changed our clothes and said our goodbyes so we could head off on our honeymoon! But more about that next week :)

All in all, it was a perfect day. Because it was with the perfect man, in the perfect place. I'm so grateful for my eternal marriage :) 


I'm also grateful to my amazing photographer and videographer because I love that they were able to capture memories of these beautiful days in my life! I definitely recommend getting a videographer :)

**All photos by Melanie Paxton
**Video by Brandon Petersen

Linking up for Wedding Wednesday!

NC Belle In Boots

 photo AshleySIG_zpsf3e0719e.png

Comments

  1. Learn something new everyday! I had no idea about the levels of the temple and it was interesting to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thanks for reading, and I'm glad you learned a little something! :)

      Delete
  2. Awww congratulations!!! Your wedding photos are gorgeous and I had no idea about the temples! Thank you so much for sharing! :) That's so sweet that all of your friends were there waiting for you guys outside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And glad I could tell you a little something about temples :) and yes! It was so fun coming out to a giant group of people who all loved us :)

      Delete
  3. I didn't know the thing about temples either!! I love that they were all there afterward!! Such sweet pictures!! The pictures of you and your husband near the temple are gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha guess I'm just teaching everyone today! ;) And thanks! Nothing like a gorgeous building + being dressed your best to make for great photos! :)

      Delete
  4. As beautiful as your wedding was, didn't you feel bad about banning your sibling (!) and your closest family and friends from the ceremony? I'm not trying to rock the boat or be disrespectful to your religion, but I know how hurt I would be if my best friend excluded me from her ceremony simply because we didn't share the same faith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it sounds difficult, but it wasn't bad, at least not for me. I'm lucky enough that all of my best friends share my religion, so we've all grown up knowing that you can only go into the temple after a certain time and certain promises in your life. They all knew they wouldn't get to be there as soon as a wedding date was set. They also know I love them and would have had them there if possible. That being said, I don't feel like they missed out on my wedding, because they were a part of every other aspect--reception, dinner, planning, pictures . . . They felt important and they felt included.

      That being said, some people are not as lucky as I was . . . Some people join our church later on in life, so their parents aren't members. Those people, if they choose to get married in the temple, they can't even have their parents there. Most people who do that have a separate ring ceremony.

      But at the end of the day, even if no one I loved could attend, I still would have gotten married in the temple, because it's only in the temple that I can be married for time AND eternity. There's no "til death do you part" or "as long as you both shall LIVE" . . . It's a forever marriage, and I wouldn't want anything less.

      I hope that explains a little better. I totally understand that it's a foreign concept to many. It's not about banning anybody . . . It's about keeping marriage sacred. It's not that people not of my faith or even people of my faith who have yet to make those promises would ruin that, it's just kind of the way it works. And it makes sense to me, even if it's difficult for others to understand, it even just difficult to explain :)

      Thanks for voicing your opinion/concern. I'm glad you felt comfortable doing that, because I love to share more about why I do the things I do :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Leave some comment love! And if you're a no-reply blogger, check back here for my replies :)

Popular posts from this blog

our first murder mystery

5 on friday

it's a love story {part 5}