book club

So I'm starting a book club. Officially, I'm the only member at the moment. Russ claims he is, but he has yet to start a book soooo I think that's debatable ;) My main purpose for this book club is to have Russ and I read about things that we're both interested in so that we can expand our conversations to a deeper level. We love to talk about deep things, but deep things require a catalyst -- in this case, books.

I've mentioned it before -- I pretty much hate fiction books. I don't see the value in them because I don't get enough entertainment from them. If I really want fictional entertainment, I'd much rather watch a 2-hour movie than read a 400-page book. Even all the books that are recommended constantly on Facebook, blogs, and Pinterest (like The Fault in Our Stars and Me Before You <--don't even get me started on that one...) fail to interest me.

What I do like are research-based self-help books. I just find them fascinating. I am really pretty horrible with words, so I love it when I read something I've noticed or felt before and the author has put it into these exact-right words -- the words I can't usually find.

If you want to join along, feel free! Though there will be little structure (at least for the moment). I don't even have it planned out to do "one book per month" or any certain book order because I'm basically just waiting on the library, where every single one of these books was originally checked out. But if you're interested, these are the books Russ and I have talked about doing:

Intuitive Eating by Evelyn Tribole
10 Lessons to Transform Your Marriage by John & Julie Gottman
Daring Greatly by Brene Brown
Crucial Conversations by Kerry Patterson
Quiet by Susan Cain

I'm currently reading the first two, and kind of planning to read the others in this order (though Quiet could end up being my next book). Then I'll probably write a post about each of them in the process.

I feel like Russ and I already have a great life and a great marriage, but I think all of these books will help us toward something even better. And better is always better, right? ;) I'm excited for us to learn new things about ourselves and about each other :)


 photo AshleySIG_zpsf3e0719e.png

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

our first murder mystery

5 on friday

it's a love story {part 5}