book bites {group 2}


Well folks. I got a library card! And it's made getting books to read so much easier. The first day I got my card, I was just so excited. Having fun isn't hard, when you've got a library card! ;) Name that tv show . . . anyone? ;)



Anyway, here is a continuation of my 23 before 23 goal to read 23 books.

{SIX} Daughters in My Kingdom published by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Genre: History
Synopsis: This book details the history and work of the Relief Society, a women's organization in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
My thoughts: Every woman in my church was given this book about three years ago, but I had never even really glanced at it. I decided it was time for me to read it. I enjoyed reading it because it is uplifting. It talks about being a better woman and living up to God's expectations and plans for us. It was nice to learn more about the Relief Society, and it strengthened my testimony of both Relief Society and Visiting Teaching.




{SEVEN} Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry

Genre: Young Adult Fiction
Synopsis: In a world where the weak are considered useless, a young girl with a twisted leg is given a place of honor because of her artistic skills with thread. But though she is then given a life of privilege, she learns that her town is not all that she once thought it was.
My thoughts: This is supposedly a sequel to The Giver, which I read earlier this year. However, it is a completely different storyline. The only connection is that it seems to be in the same futuristic time when rules are set by the few that are in charge, but even the rules and the lifestyles are different. Perhaps in one of the later sequels the books will connect? That's what I'm hoping for, because alone, this book isn't really anything to get too excited about.


{EIGHT} Messenger by Lois Lowry

Genre: Young Adult Fiction
Synopsis: A town once known for its kindness and generosity toward all now threatens to close its borders as the people become selfish. A young man discovers his unique gift which could be the key to fix everything.
My thoughts: This is the third book in the Giver series, and it has been my favorite so far. It weaves together the people from all three books, while giving insight into the human mind. A theme of this book is trade, though you learn it is not always a trade of objects. Some trade much more--they give up their "deepest selves" for toys or for beauty. What do we trade? Do we give up things of great worth for things which are trivial? Though only a brief 169-page book, it made me meditate, contemplate, and evaluate.


{NINE} Son by Lois Lowry

Genre: Young Adult Fiction
Synopsis: A young girl gives birth to a child that is never meant to be hers. A whirlwind of events separate her and her son even further, but she will do anything to find him and be reunited with him.
My thoughts: I liked that this book tied up all the loose ends between the different Giver books. I also liked that I could relate to the main character (more than any of the other main characters in the series) because she loved her son so much (though I'm not yet a parent, I'm very excited for the day that I am one, and my family will always be what is most important to me, just like it is for Claire). Of the four books, this book has the most logical flow, without leaving gaps in information. However, I think Messenger remains my favorite because it had a deeper message in addition to the story.

{TEN} The Wedding by Nicholas Sparks

Genre: Romantic Fiction
Synopsis: A man is given the perfect opportunity to bring a spark back to his own marriage when his daughter announces her upcoming wedding.
My thoughts: I thought that the book would detail all of the things he did over a course of a year (in the prologue he talks about a change that occured over the past 14 months) to bring life back to his marriage. However, turns out he tried stuff for a year that didn't really do anything, and then in the course of the week as he helps his wife plan their daughter's wedding, the spark comes back because he does all this reminiscing about his own courtship, engagement, and early marriage. I was a bit disappointed that that's all it took to bring back the spark, because I think it would take more than a week of effort to restore a marriage back to its newlywed days. Maybe it would have been romantic and adorable in a movie, but as a book, I thought it was kind of pointless. I didn't like that it was based so much on flashbacks, because I wanted to see what he would do today to fix his marriage. I also just thought some of what he did was so over-the-top that it seemed unrealistic. Not only am I a cynic of movies but apparently now of books, as well. Oh, boy.


I really don't know what it is, but fiction novels just aren't my favorite. I used to love reading as a kid, but now books just seem too long and detailed. I don't like to read a story just to read a story; I want to get something deeper out of what I read, like I did with Messenger. Otherwise, I'd probably rather just watch a movie. So my next group of book bites will probably contain less fiction novels. But if you have any recommendations of fiction books that you think will change my opinion of fiction books, feel free to let me know in the comments :)

 photo AshleySIG_zpsf3e0719e.png

Comments

  1. You should get on good reads. I have LOTS of fiction I can recommend that provide great thought provoking questions. Or you can just get on good reads and check out my ratings and reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wahoo! So glad you gave me some recommendations last night. I'm excited to try them out :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Leave some comment love! And if you're a no-reply blogger, check back here for my replies :)

Popular posts from this blog

our first murder mystery

5 on friday

it's a love story {part 5}