the one with a c. s. lewis quote


Wahoo! Finally made a graphic! ^^ Nothing too fancy, but I like it anyway :)

So today in church, I heard this quote:

Pride gets no pleasure out of having something, only out of having more of it
than the next man . . . It is the comparison that makes you proud:
the pleasure of being above the rest. Once the element of competition is gone, pride is gone.
C. S. Lewis

I thought that it was pretty profound, maybe because it's something I need to work on . . .
I do a lot of comparing.

I've always known that I have my pride issues, but I had never connected pride with comparisons before, so hearing the quote opened up a whole new box of issues that I should probably be working on.

And because it's something that I need to work on, I really don't have any light to shed on the quote; nothing really to add.

So I guess I'm just going to leave you with the quote, because I've been trying to figure out what else I might add for about half an hour now, and I can't think of anything I could say that would add to C. S. Lewis's message. But if you have anything to contribute to this topic, feel free to leave a comment, because I would love to hear your insights.


**ashleynicole

Comments

  1. So it seems to me that comparison with other people can't make very many people happy, by definition: Very few people can be "on top of the pile" in relative comparison, because the rest of the population has to make up the rest of the pile. We talked in my quorum lesson about about how serving God always gets results, but trying to be better than everyone else isn't guaranteed to work at all, because of that relative nature.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! That's an awesome way to think about things--do what always gets happy results! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Leave some comment love! And if you're a no-reply blogger, check back here for my replies :)

Popular posts from this blog

our first murder mystery

5 on friday

it's a love story {part 5}