christmas festivities and fun times 2018

Usually I do separate blog posts for separate activities, but I just wanted to quickly mention all the family fun times we had in December 2018 :)

Santa came to Grandma and Grandpa's house to visit! Ada was interested but also seemed wary/concerned at first. However, she did warm up and we got some better smiles without the concerned eyebrows 😂



We went on the Provo River cruise with Lacey and Ian. There were lots of lights hanging up and a few different scenes (some Santa, some Nativity, one adult Jesus). When we started moving away from Jesus, Ada kept saying, "More Jesus!" We learned that you should definitely bring blankets to sit on during this cruise, because the boat seats are metal and therefore freezing!!



We had a family sleepover at Grandma and Grandpa's house. For the last three years, we've done a little family getaway to the Little America hotel at Christmastime. While we were there last year, we decided we could have just as much fun for a lot less money if we just stayed at G&G's. It was true! We baked, ate yummy food, put the kids to bed, had a devotional, and then played games.

The first game we played was something new -- Mom and Dad created a ball full of gifts using press'n'seal wrap. The ball got passed around and whatever gifts fell out on your turn, you got to keep. Your turn was only as long as it took the person in front of you to roll a 5. I was actually pretty amazed at how frustrating the game was! 😂 But Russ and I came away with a lot of fun gift cards, some mints, a book, and several gold dollar coins.

We played games til late, which was so fun :)

The next morning, Mom and I played with the kids -- a Christmas tree dice game, ring around the rosies, London Bridge is Falling Down, and maybe some other games. Ada seemed to enjoy the games -- I love seeing her grow up!! :)

Then we went to the club for their special Santa breakfast. We all agreed that the breakfast wasn't nearly as good as Little America's, so next year we'll just do that part at home, too :)

We stayed all afternoon and played more games, and Mom and Dad also gave us another Christmas gift: Hale Center Theater tickets. They have season passes, so they decided to gift us each some tickets. They were going to purchase a pair of season tickets and then let each couple go to two shows each. They had us roll dice to figure out the picking order. Lots of rolling later, and Brandon and Amy got the first two picks, Rachel and Michael got the next two picks, and Russ and I got the last two picks. This was really frustrating for me because it basically meant we had no choice at all in the matter. Like I would have been fine if we got to pick third and sixth (so if we hadn't had each person count as a person, but rather had done it by couple), but I was having a difficult time getting over not getting to pick at all. I wasn't trying to be a diva, but I was having a hard time getting out of my head. I ended up going quietly up to my room, where my mom followed me and we had a bit of a heart to heart. She was so kind and understanding, even though I felt like I shouldn't be feeling what I was feeling -- I should just be grateful for any shows at all! I almost didn't share this story because it doesn't paint me in a good light, but I want to remember how kind and loving my mom was in this situation. I've got a good mama :)

We finished out the celebration with dinner at Rumbi, and I left just feeling so grateful for my wonderful family :)


We had a Bethlehem dinner on Christmas Eve, just the three of us. Ada started the day with a fever, and it continued for the next 3 days :( It was sad, but also, we enjoyed the extra snuggles with her! We had a quick Bethlehem dinner before putting her to bed on Christmas Eve.

Then Russ and I spent the evening prepping for Christmas -- I wrapped all the gifts while he built Ada's kitchen!




We opened presents on Christmas morning. Ada was still sick, but she had enough energy to open presents! :) Her big present was her kitchen, and then she also got some dishes and food to go along with it :) Russ got me this cool hourly planner (that's a bit intimidating!!). I got Russ a couples' journal thing called The Navigator's Council. We haven't really looked at it yet, so we'll see if we like it. Russ's parents got us a mini carpet cleaning machine, which is great since we have a kid haha. It'll also be great if we ever get a dog!

We then watched Christmas movies the rest of the day and tried to get Ada to take good naps to get healthy.






We had Christmas dinner at my parents' house. Ada opened her presents from G&G -- some clothes and some magnetic ice cream cones. She's obsessed with the ice cream! And we opened a robot vacuum!




We went bowling with our Holmes fam. I bowled horribly as always, but still had a good time :) Mom and Dad even brought homemade trophies! 😂 Ada had a meltdown because she was ready for her nap 2 hours early (sickness totally threw off her sleep), so we brought lunch back to our house to eat. It was good to be together! :)




It was a good December :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

our first murder mystery

5 on friday

it's a love story {part 5}