#22isactuallymorelike50indanceyears

I was on Dance Company for all three years of high school. I loved it! I loved the girls I danced with, I loved learning new choreography, and I loved performing.

Then I went off to college and tried out a dance class there. Unfortunately, it wasn't my company and it wasn't my kind of dancing, so I didn't love it. And I never really planned to continue dancing anyway, so other than Zumba, I haven't done any dancing since then (Dec. 2010).

But even though I don't plan to pursue any sort of dancing career, I do still think back on that time in high school and love it, so when I was coming up with ideas for my 23 before 23 list, I ended up adding 10. Take a contemporary dance class.

The more I thought about it, the more I realized I didn't want to dance with strangers . . . I wanted to dance with my old company! And this last weekend, I made that happen.

Luckily, Aubry, one of the girls who I used to dance with, is now the dance director at our old high school, so I got her on board and I did the planning and she did the facilitating :)

top: adri, ashlee, me, nina, randi, sarah, tia, aubry
bottom: jessica, rachel, lauren, chelsea
not pictured: leann
So last Saturday we all got together and spent the morning learning two dances and catching up with each other before putting on a mini performance of those dances in the afternoon. It was so fun to be dancing again! But man, I felt like an old lady! I couldn't dance like a 16-year-old anymore haha :)

Russ had never seen me dance, and my mother- and sister-in-law were actually both in town, too, so they got to come to the performance as well. It was fun to share that part of me with all of them :)

My mom also came, and she was just the cutest. She was getting all teary-eyed and emotional because she knows how much I love dance and she loved seeing me get to do that again :) It was super sweet :)

And now, you can see the dances because Chelsea's husband was kind enough to record them. I was planning on that, but then totally forgot, so I'm so glad Chelsea (or her husband?) thought ahead :) Keep in mind most of us haven't danced in years, and we learned it all in one morning, so they're not the cleanest dances :)

choreographed by Adri ^^ (excuse the fact that neither the music coordinator
nor the videographer knew that the dance was over haha :) )

choreographed by Aubry & dancers ^^

Thanks to Aubry for helping me make this happen, and thanks to all the girls who came! It was awesome :) Definitely one of my favorite tasks so far :)

Now who's going to go plan a reunion with their high school team/club/group/whatever? It's suuuuper fun and I highly recommend it :)


 photo AshleySIG_zpsf3e0719e.png

Comments

  1. You are so awesome for putting this together! I'm seriously impressed. Loved the videos. I did dance in highschool too buuuuut....I was terrible haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am totally impressed you put this all together - that's a lot of work, but how fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha the beauty of Facebook! So very helpful in arranging reunions like this :) It was definitely a blast!

      Delete
  3. I wish I could dance! It's so beautiful to watch. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! You're so sweet! :) Dancing really is super fun, but anyone can dance, even if it's just jamming out by yourself in the comfort of your own room :) I hope you do that, btw ;)

      Delete
  4. This story is so special! I love that you were able to recreate one of your favorite past experiences.
    Dancing is wonderful, and I wish there was more opportunity for it outside of high school. . But I wanted to tell you that I just finished writing a blog post titled, 3 things I wish I knew at 18. And there is a link up for other bloggers to add to the list. I just felt like you might have something to add and so I wanted to invite you to participate. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. aw this is so awesome that you were able to dance with your old company!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave some comment love! And if you're a no-reply blogger, check back here for my replies :)

Popular posts from this blog

our first murder mystery

5 on friday

it's a love story {part 5}