cradle robber

Last week, my friend Laura and I did a little swap on our blogs, so I wrote about one of my worst dates over at Simpleton Pleasures.

It was a bad one, to be sure, but it pales in comparison to my absolute worst date, which is the one I'm sharing today.

*   *   *   *   *

The summer after my freshman year of college, summer 2011, I went to a Spanish-speaking Mormon church. I was feeling pretty good about my Spanish, but I wanted more practice and more immersion into that language and culture. However, by joining that ward, I realized I did not know Spanish as well as I thought I did. It wasn't horrible, but there were definitely times when I had no clue what was going on.

One of the first few weeks, I met this guy and he introduced himself and we talked a bit. I thought he was just being a friendly and welcoming person. Through him asking me some questions, I somehow ended up telling him I was getting married the upcoming December, which wasn't actually true at all. I thought it could happen, because I was dating someone at the time and thought things were heading in that direction, but it definitely wasn't set in stone. (Basically, he asked me if I was going to serve a mission, and I said no because I'd get married first, and he took that to mean I was engaged right then, and so I just went with it.) I didn't worry about the white lie, because I would only be in the ward for three months, and the little lie didn't hurt anyone. Plus it was just more difficult to explain with the language barrier.

A few weeks later, he talked to me again. He asked me about the wedding, so I came clean and clarified that I wasn't engaged yet (I actually don't think I was even dating the guy anymore by this time) and I had just meant it was a possibility. So then, because I had told him I was an editor, he asked me if I would be willing to help him out with something. Thinking it was a job opportunity, I agreed.

Did I mention that I was 19, and this guy was 34, and he knew both of our ages? Hence why I thought it was a job, and not a date.


So later that week, I met him at the mall, because I wanted to meet in a public place. Well, it didn't really work because he then wanted to take me to a different location. So he drove me to this restaurant and bought us dinner, and I thought dinner was sort of payment for my help as an editor, but there was no sign of any sort of manuscript. Payment first, work later? But I was getting more and more suspicious that this was a date in his eyes.

Especially as our conversation through dinner evolved. For a while, he talked about all of the places he had traveled to, but concluded that he's ready to be done traveling and settle down. I responded that I would love to travel the world. So then he said, "Well, I guess I could keep traveling." Umm . . . I hope you're not thinking about traveling with me, because that is so not what I was saying! 

The clincher was when he mentioned his twelve-year-old daughter. I mean, really? I was nineteen. I could have been her sister. In reality, I could have been his daughter.

I was trying to be nice, but I felt so, so weird. Finally after nearly two hours, and no sign of manuscript, I brought it up. I told him I had thought we were doing editing stuff that day. When he admitted he had no manuscript with him, I quickly tried to think of how I could get out of there. It had already been two hours, and I was sooooo done with it. I told him that my mom needed me for something and I hadn't thought I'd be gone very long, so it was time for me to get home.

As we walked back to his car, he asked me if we could get together again sometime. Are you serious?!?!?! I told him that our age gap was just too big for me, and I couldn't go out again. And what did he say in response?

"I could have made you the happiest woman in the world."

WHAT?!?! Boy was seriously planning a wedding with a teenager that he didn't know at all.


So glad I escaped that cradle robber.

*   *   *   *   *

What happened on your worst date? :)

 photo AshleySIG_zpsf3e0719e.png

Comments

  1. I passed out at the midnight showing of the new Indiana Jones movie when we were in high school. I hit my head on the concession counter and got a concussion. The paramedics came and everything. So embarrassing! This was a fun post. I love to hear stories of girls sticking up for themselves and letting men know exactly where they stand. In our culture especially girls can get into trouble by being too nice. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh my gosssshhhhh that is so creepy! It gives me the heebie jeebies SO bad! Love that first picture though hahaha, so true.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave some comment love! And if you're a no-reply blogger, check back here for my replies :)

Popular posts from this blog

our first murder mystery

5 on friday

it's a love story {part 5}