book bites {group 3}


I was almost ahead of schedule, and then I wasn't again. *sigh* It's hard to read so many books! But here are my last five books I'll get in for my 23 before 23 goal to read 23 books.

{ELEVEN} The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell (5 stars)

Genre: Non-fiction
Synopsis: This book examines how diseases are not the only kinds of epidemics: other things, such as fashion trends or kid TV shows, have the potential to become an epidemic, and there are certain principles which govern whether or not that is likely to happen. 
My thoughts: Guys. THIS is my kind of book. It talks about real-life things in an intriguing way, and it made me want to understand why things happen. It also gives insights into how you can MAKE things happen, though I haven't quite analyzed all the book's applications. I like that there is supporting data for all of his claims, but not so much data that I get overloaded and information goes over my head. A very interesting read, and I definitely recommend it :)


{TWELVE} The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (3 stars)

Genre: Fiction (that involves romance and death)
Synopsis: A girl whose perspective on life is dim because of her terminal cancer learns a lot more about life and love when she meets an exciting and interesting guy at Cancer Kid Support Group.
My thoughts: I have some mixed feelings about this book. I liked the story, but the actual writing was . . . interesting. It often felt like an actual journal, and I couldn't decide whether or not I liked the fact that the writing was so candid. I really don't know what to say about the book . . . I did get invested emotionally, but I don't think it was as fantastic as everyone made it out to be. Though there were two lines/phrases in it that I thought were so clever that I have to include them: "Television is not an activity, it's a passivity" and "celebration maximization." So, there's that. Haha :)


{THIRTEEN} Me Before You by Jojo Moyes (2 stars)

Genre: Fiction
Synopsis: An un-adventurous girl becomes a caregiver to a quadriplegic man who helps her change her outlook on life.
My thoughts: Um, guys. I'm so mad at all you bloggers who recommended this book because I hated it! *Spoilers ahead* I actually enjoyed the book as I was reading, but I hated the ending. And not because it was an unhappy ending, or because all her efforts turned out to be for nothing because he went through with the assisted suicide. No, I hated it because of the message it sent. He tells her he loves her, and then says that's "not enough" of a reason to continue living in this body. I understand that it would be downright awful to be quadriplegic, don't get me wrong. But Will makes it sound as if life only has meaning if you're able to go on adventures and do something with your life. But not only is each life precious (even lives of quadriplegic people), but I also think that our relationships are SO MUCH MORE important than any adventures we'll ever have, and he basically said "Nope. Sorry. Even a life with love isn't enough for me if I can't have my adventures or brush my own teeth." Though I loved what I got from the book about making more of your life, it really does infuriate me that one of the main characters placed more importance on having an easy and exciting life than he placed on his relationship or his actual life. He didn't end his life because he loved her and wanted her to have the adventures she'd never have with him; he ended his life because he selfishly did not want to go on living in that body.


{FOURTEEN} Have a Little Faith: A True Story by Mitch Albom (4 stars)

Genre: Memoir
Synopsis: When Mitch's lifelong Rabbi askes him to write his eulogy, it turns into an 8-year process filled with increased friendship and faith.
My thoughts: I really enjoyed Tuesdays with Morrie, so when another blogger (maybe Kayla? but I can't remember!) recommended this book by the same author, I jumped on it. What I really loved about it was its focus on God--or whatever higher Being that you believe exists. As in, whether it's God or Allah or whoever, life is still about the same things--having faith and helping others. I think it's really easy in life to think we do things "the right way" and even to judge others for not believing as we believe, but this book shows a lot about how love and tolerance go a long way. One line I really liked from the book was: "Some [churches] host social events. Some offer singles nights, lecture series, carnivals, and sign-up drives. . . . At I Am My Brother's Keeper, there were no dues, no drives, no singles nights. Membership grew the old-fashioned way: a desperate need for God." What would that be like if everyone chose their religion based on that one simple thing--a need for God above all else. Not the best preachers or the best programs, but instead,the places that focus on God, His teachings, and His love.


{FIFTEEN} The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce (4 stars)

Genre: Fiction
Synopsis: A man walks from the south end of England to the north end of England in an effort to save his friend from cancer. As he walks, he thinks over past events of his life: what has gotten him to this point, and what he wishes he could have changed.
My thoughts: I saw this book recommended on Kaity's blog, and though I knew next to nothing about the story, Kaity's review of it was compelling enough to convince me I should try it out :) When I first started it, it was kind of weird. There are all these things that you just don't know or understand, and it takes reading the whole book for everything to unfold, and I have a hard time with that. I prefer a story to work forward, not backward. BUT. I did think it was very well-written, and it kept me interested despite the fact that so much of it is basically a soliloquy. What I really loved about the story was that it depicts an actual physical journey that is also tied to an emotional journey. As Harold walks and covers ground, he also contemplates his life and you get to intimately see how he has been shaped into the person that he is. I wouldn't say it was my favorite book ever, but I definitely enjoyed the ways it made me think.


Have you read any of these books? What did you think? Does anyone have any [good] book recommendations for me? I'm thinking I'll steer clear of fiction for a while, as most of the fiction that I have read recently has been a disappointment.

 photo AshleySIG_zpsf3e0719e.png

Comments

  1. I think all of John Green's books are somewhat like that. I, personally, love them, but they're definitely an acquired taste! Great thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rick Riordan's The Lightning Thief is a good YA if you haven't read it already. Richard Swenson's Margin: Restoring Emotional, Physical, Financial, and Time Reserves to Overloaded Lives is some nonfiction that has super-important ideas.

    Candace Millard's Destiny of the Republic is long, and you couldn't think that a book about President Garfield's assassination could be so engaging and moving, but it really is -- and not just for history buffs.

    That's all for me today, but you can check my good reads for more if you like. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you liked Harold Fry, even if it wasn't a 5-star read. I just loved how the author made you so invested in this ordinary man and his ordinary marriage through an extraordinary journey. I'm actually reading the follow-up book to this told from Queenie's perspective. So far, the writing is just as good!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave some comment love! And if you're a no-reply blogger, check back here for my replies :)

Popular posts from this blog

our first murder mystery

5 on friday

it's a love story {part 5}