i'm a graduate!

BA English Language
Minor: Editing
When I went off to college, I knew exactly what I wanted to do: I wanted to be an editor. And since I knew exactly what I wanted to do, and since you don't have to apply for my major/minor, I got started into my major right away, and then paired major classes with generals for the first 3.5 years of college. I only ever took like 2 "fun" classes that didn't go toward anything. I thought I was pretty slick not ever having to take classes during spring/summer, and I set everything up to graduate within eight semesters.

Then came time to register for graduation, and what do they tell me? I do not have enough credits to graduate. Punishment for knowing what I wanted to do with my life and then not wasting time getting there! 

At first I was really mad about it, but it actually allowed me to end college on a very positive note. When they told me I couldn't graduate in April 2014 like I had planned, I cried because I was devastated! I was so ready to be done with school! But since I needed more credits, that meant I finally chose fun classes, and I had lighter semesters. Over the last year, I have taken three sewing classes, three exercise classes, and a web design class--none of which were for my major or any generals. And I loved them all!

Don't get me wrong, I am still happy with my choice to study editing, but it was also fun to learn about things that won't be used for work--things that will be used for fun! 

Although it ended up taking me five years to graduate, I'm glad I had that extra year to enjoy college instead of just go to college.


On graduation day, I was happy to have so much support from family :) Mom Holmes went on several flights in order to make it. She even went to two graduations in one day! Lance & Mackenzi's in the morning, and mine in the afternoon. In between, she treated us all to lunch at Guru's :) Dad Holmes couldn't make it because I didn't tell him early enough for him to be able to get off work, but he called twice to make sure he got to give me his congratulations as well :)


Russ and my parents also attended my graduation, and my dad took like a million pictures (more like 80, but STILL!) So here are a few of those :)










The weather was crazy windy and a little rainy, so we didn't get too many pictures after graduation ended. Then Russ and I went for cookies at Swig before heading out to dinner with my parents and my brother's family.





won't she be such a cute graduate someday? :)
Like I said before, I'm very happy that I was able to finish college on a good note. But now, I'm very happy to be done with school forever! I'm excited for this new phase of life and I can't wait to see what it brings :)

 photo AshleySIG_zpsf3e0719e.png

Comments

  1. Congratulations! :) I don't graduate for another year so I am mighty jealous haha. It must feel great to be done with school forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! It's such a big accomplishment! I wish I would have know what I wanted to do as early on in life as you. Lol!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave some comment love! And if you're a no-reply blogger, check back here for my replies :)

Popular posts from this blog

our first murder mystery

5 on friday

it's a love story {part 5}