thanksgiving 2014

This Thanksgiving, I finally succeeded in doing what I tried to do my whole college career: I got a 10-day break instead of a 5-day break. At my college, we have class the Monday and Tuesday before Thanksgiving, but on Tuesday we have Friday classes. Kind of complicated. So I've tried every year to get classes on only Tuesday/Thursday so I could have Friday (Before thanksgiving) until Monday (after Thanksgiving) off, and I finally succeeded!

For the first few days of the break, I was in Salt Lake at Time Out For Women with some of the girls in my family. Then, Russ picked me up and we drove from there to Boise to just hang out for a few days. We spent an afternoon with Russ's high school friends, Jake and Jenzi; we played some games with Mom & Dad Holmes, and we just relaxed a bit.

On Wednesday, Russ and I made the 8-hour drive to Seattle, where Shayne's family lives (Shayne is Russ's brother). We were originally going to be driving with Mom and Dad, but due to some unexpected circumstances, they both ended up flying there at different times. When Dad's a pilot, things like that happen haha :)

On Thanksgiving Day, there was a Turkey Trot in Shayne and Steph's neighborhood: a 5k and a 1k. Though it's one of my goals to actually do a 5k this year (I never really have), I just wasn't quite prepared for it. At the time, I was consistently running a mile or two several times each week, but I hadn't run 3 miles yet, so I decided to take it easy. Plus, I'm pretty sure I've never worked out on Thanksgiving, so doing anything at all was a step up, even if I didn't do the 5k. While Russ, Mom, and Shayne did the 5k, Lacey, Stephanie, Susan, Molly, and I played at the park for a bit :)



But we came back to see Russ finish first (of our people, not of everyone), followed by Shayne, followed by Mom. But they all came in within about 5 minutes of each other. They were all so fast! :)



Mom, Lacey, Shayne, me, & Russ
Susan & Molly
After the 5k, everyone did the 1k, pretty much at Susan's pace. But this was my workout, so I actually ran it, and then after 1k, I decided that wasn't enough so I did it again. 2k! Haha it was a good distance for me that day :)

me, Russ, Shayne, Lacey, Stephanie, & Mom
Susan & Molly
After the Turkey Trot, we all showered and got ready before doing some last few things for the meal. Stephanie was seriously awesome. She did so much prep ahead of time that cooking the day of was pretty limited. She made things less busy and stressful for the rest of us, which was so sweet of her. 

Sadly I have no pictures of all the food . . . but I do have pictures of pie! I made my first pie ever because I wanted to bring one of my family's favorites: Chocolate Pecan Pie. Super good :)


We had seven pies for a total of nine people. It was crazy! We had also had a chocolate peanut butter pie the evening before to celebrate Chantry's birthday, so we were definitely not short on pie. It was great :)


just a #selfie ;) 
On Friday, the girls did about an hour of very successful late-morning black friday shopping. Then that afternoon we all waited in a super long line to see some giant gingerbread houses with all the Holmes people and the Barnes family! (Cousins+their fun kids who used to live close, but now they live in Seattle, too)





Lacey, Russ, Susan, & me
Granny B (mom) & Molly

There was some pretty cool stuff there. But sadly, our trip had to come to an end. We were planning on leaving Seattle on Saturday morning, but some storm warnings sent us packing on Friday evening. Luckily, Dad did all the driving, so Russ and I got to do a lot of sleeping. We spent Saturday in Boise at the mall (not so successful) and then headed back to Provo on Sunday. All in all, we had a fun trip with fun people that we love. The trips are just never long enough! But we're thankful we got to spend some time with family, even if the time was limited :)

**ashleynicole

Comments

  1. i'm thinking about doing a race on thanksgiving this year... might help with all the food i'll eat lol. looks like you all had a great time, sorry it got cut short!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave some comment love! And if you're a no-reply blogger, check back here for my replies :)

Popular posts from this blog

our first murder mystery

5 on friday

it's a love story {part 5}