green table (aka mesa verde)

Remember that birthday bucket list of mine? Of course you do, I mean how could you forget when it's pretty much all I post about? Well, still on that list was to visit three national parks or monuments, and before last weekend, I still needed one more. So a few months ago, Russ and I planned to go to either Canyonlands or Arches in conjunction with the Monticello temple. Unfortunately, when I say "plan" I basically just mean we decided to, but then didn't do any actual planning. So come the beginning of last week, we looked up camping sites, and they were all full. So we moved to plan B: Mesa Verde.

The first time I heard of Mesa Verde was actually on the Bachelor. And it's so ridiculous, you just have to see it: (watch 3:34-3:54)



So when we were looking on a map and trying to find what other national parks were somewhat close to Monticello, Mesa Verde definitely caught my eye. A bonus about Mesa Verde was that it is in Colorado, and since Russ and I are trying to visit every state together, I was excited to get another one checked off the list :)

The plan was to pick Russ up from work early on Friday, around noon, and head to the Monticello temple (about a 4-hour drive). But life never goes the way we plan, right? After forgetting multiple things from multiple places and going back and forth between my parents' house and our apartment multiple times, we were finally heading out around 3pm. Trouble with that was that Monticello temple closed at 7pm. Since it's a smaller temple, you have to do a lot more planning if you want to go there, and I hadn't worried about the close time because we were supposed to leave with plenty of time! But after an hour of sulking in the car because I thought all my plans were ruined, I found out that the temple actually did not close at 7pm, and I made it! Russ had to wait outside, because in the rush of packing for the trip, he was unable to find his temple recommend. It's actually the first time I've been to the temple by myself since being married, and I have to say, I kind of enjoyed just being there by myself. Especially since it's a small temple, so there wasn't anyone else around either! It was a very nice experience :)


We then continued another hour and a half to our campsite, pulling in around 10pm. We set up the tent (which we had never set up before) in the dark, and I think we'll do it that way every time. I mean, it's the second time we've set up a tent together, and the first time around went exactly the same way--in the dark and for the first time. Might as well make a tradition of it, eh? ;)

Anyway, the next day we started exploring Mesa Verde and it was so awesome! Everything was beautiful :) Before the trip I didn't even know that this is what Mesa Verde was all about, but we obviously found out. There were all of these excavated stone structures and cliff dwellings where people used to live! It was really cool, and I think that's why the paintballing adventure reminded Ashley S. (from the Bachelor video up there) of Mesa Verde--the stone structures and kind of maze of everything. Haha I kind of laughed when I made that connection :)









Unfortunately, about halfway through the day, Mother Nature decided to let me know I am definitely not pregnant, which rendered me pretty much useless for the rest of the day. Russ took me back to the tent so I could read and nap while he did more exploring.

But despite that unexpected upset, I still had a great time at Mesa Verde. It was fun to be in the great outdoors with just Russ. I love all the moments I get to be with just him, and no one else. I like other people, but Russ is definitely my favorite human :)

On the way home on Sunday, we stopped at the Needles Overlook, which was gorgeous! I love the way perspective can just show you how amazing something is.






The weekend away was just what I needed, and I think I need more of these. We haven't done too many of them while we've been married, but then we've done two in the past six weeks. Every six weeks sounds like a pretty good plan to me!

But I'm actually going away alone this very next weekend to meet up with my blog bestie, Laynah!! So if you have any good ideas of fun stuff to do in Vegas (keep in mind, we don't drink or gamble), let me know! :)

 photo AshleySIG_zpsf3e0719e.png

Comments

  1. i had no idea mesa verde was this close to us! we just bought a national parks pass, so looks like we may need to copy you and take a little jaunt down there ;) cute pictures! (and LOL to russ forgetting his temple recommend. that happens to us alllll theeee timeee)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was surprised, too! You should definitely go! It was a different sort of national park than I'd been to before, so it was cool :) And Russ didn't actually forget his recommend . . . he looked all over for it before we left for the trip, but never found it, and still has not found it. #bummer

      Delete
  2. - Las Vegas Temple
    - Bellagio Gardens/Fountain
    - Shopping (there are 4 good malls)
    - Red Rock
    - Sprinkles Cupcakes & Shake Shack
    - Shark Reef & Mirage Dolphins and Tigers
    Email me if you want to know more about Vegas. I live here and there can be some great things to do. thompson.m2010 @ gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. John and I love National Parks - so glad you love them too!! And as soon as I saw Mesa Verde I immediately thought of the Bachelor too, haha!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave some comment love! And if you're a no-reply blogger, check back here for my replies :)

Popular posts from this blog

our first murder mystery

5 on friday

it's a love story {part 5}