23. get a real job--a job i love


One of my 23 before 23 goals was to "Get a real job--a job I love." I sort of wish I had phrased it differently, so I think I'm going to change it now to "Get rid of any jobs that aren't in my field, and get a job that is. It should be enjoyable, too." Stuff in "my field" includes anything involving editing or design since those are things I have studied and would like to pursue as a career.

When I made this bucket list last May, I had five jobs: tutor to two kids, nanny, laundry-folder/math grader, and writer/editor for a campus magazine. Of those five jobs, only one (writer/editor) had anything to do with my major/minor, and it wasn't very many hours . . . usually less than two hours each week. I was going CRAZY from having so many jobs that weren't what I wanted to be doing. I wanted to focus on what I had been studying!

So when the school year ended, so did my two tutoring jobs, as well as my laundry-folding/math grader job because that boss went out of the country for the summer. My nanny job went a little bit longer, but then our schedules just didn't coordinate well at all, so I was left with my one job that I actually wanted. But as I said, the hours were minimal. So I spent the summer having fun and getting things organized, but I didn't work very much at all.

When school started up again in September, it was time to get a new job. I applied and got interviews for two jobs and was offered one of them, which I have had since then. For that job, I do the editing and layout of music programs. They're not super fancy or exciting programs, but I do use editing and my InDesign skills. I also like my coworkers and though some might see my job as tedious or monotonous, I kind of enjoy that aspect. In my field? Check. Enjoyable? Check.

Then, I as I mentioned in my last post, over Christmas break I was offered a TA position for a design class. This is something I'm really excited about. I have always been a crafty/creative type, but I didn't realize I liked graphic design until I took a class for my minor that involved graphic design. Since then, I have loved it, and used it for anything I can. I'm excited to help other people learn a little bit more about graphic design, too. In my field? Check. Enjoyable? Check.

Both of my jobs are campus jobs, so they will end in April when I graduate. They don't really fulfill my initial goal, because what I meant by that goal was a more long-term type job--something to really get me started in my career and such. But that is why I've revised my goal. I am happy to now be doing jobs in my field, and perhaps I'll keep the original goal in mind for my next bucket list.

How did you find your dream job? I might need some tips if I ever expect to check the original #23 off a future bucket list! :)

 photo AshleySIG_zpsf3e0719e.png

Comments

  1. oh... i'm still looking for my dream job, lol. my degree is in HR but I work in Administration.. but I love it, and at the end of the day that's what matters to me! I want to enjoy my job, and not be stressed out like I have been at other jobs. That being said, I left one of those horrible jobs and took the first one I could elsewhere... and it turned out to be awesome, so I have zero tips, lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. you've inspired me to make my own list! haha!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave some comment love! And if you're a no-reply blogger, check back here for my replies :)

Popular posts from this blog

our first murder mystery

5 on friday

it's a love story {part 5}