halloween home tour 2017

I love to decorate for holidays. I do the most for Christmas, but I also enjoy decorating for other holidays. Usually my decor is limited to the mantel, with the possibility of a garland over the living room window and/or a wreath on the front door, but I think I'm kind of starting to expand some decorations so that they're creeping into other areas of the house, too. So far, my Halloween decorations aren't too out of hand, but there are enough that I wanted to compile all the pics in once place :)






^^This piece is new this year! As you'll see below, we have a frame on our Halloween mantel to house a photo of last year's costumes. However, This year I was thinking about how I like to go all out on costumes every year, and it's a shame that past costumes don't have more of a chance to be appreciated! So I made this display with a $1 backless frame from DI, a $2 designer posterboard from Hobby Lobby, and some loopy screw things. It will be so fun when it's bursting with pictures a few years from now :)


I change the decor in this birdcage for each season. The pumpkins and leaves are in there September through November :)



Glam pumpkins, because that's the way I roll. Russ thinks it's weird that I've incorporated gold into our Halloween decor 😂



The top photo is our mantel from last year, and the bottom photo is this year's design. I never realized what my mantels were missing until I saw someone put a framed designer posterboard behind their other mantel decor. It adds the necessary height for good balance without being a focal piece, so it's just a nice background for the whole design. It has totally upped my mantel game this year! Haha :) 

The "spooky" blocks in the top photo were purchased by my mom at a garage sale. I like them well enough, but some of the letters are difficult to read, so I've wanted to re-do them pretty much since I got them. Since I was re-doing the letters anyway, I opted for more uniformity. I love how the whole thing turned out with all the black and white with pops of orange.





It's fun to look around at my decorations and know that I made most of them. I made the wreath (long ago, I think in 2012!), the photo display, the pumpkins, the trick or treat garland, the potion bottles (I used Elmer's glue and food coloring to give them that appearance), the pumpkin garland, the black and white "spooky" blocks, and the googley eye frame. Thanks, Pinterest, for really bringing out the crafter in me over these last 5 years! Haha :)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

our first murder mystery

5 on friday

it's a love story {part 5}