journeys in life

Exercise and I, we've never been friends. I'm just not one of those people who loves to work out.

This is why I have to find things that are fun for other reasons. Throughout high school, it was dance because I love to perform and I love hanging out with friends. In college, I did zumba as often as I could find a good class because it basically gave me the same perks as dance. After marrying Russ, I adopted running (because he likes running), but had to make it better by having a running buddy or listening to good music.

But lately, I hadn't been doing much of anything. So then I decided I was going to start hiking the Y every day. It's a kinda steep hike, so if you only do it every once in a while, it's pretty hard. In past times of hiking it, I'd have to pause at a lot of the switchbacks to catch my breath.


But I started doing that, and have been doing it mostly every day for about 2.5 weeks. The hike has gotten a lot easier, and I can now do the whole thing without stopping. But what really gets me through the hike is listening to General Conference talks.

General Conference is basically an opportunity for all the members of my church throughout the world to gather together to listen to modern-day prophets and leaders virtually via computer or tv, or in person at a giant conference center in Utah. The leaders give inspiring and uplifting counsel. This happens every 6 months, in April and October, and every conference weekend is fantastic.

There's something wonderful about listening to talks about being a better person and becoming more like Jesus Christ as I climb the steep switchbacks. I don't really think I can express it in words accurately, but I really just love how it makes me feel. It makes me want to reach higher and do more with my life. It makes me want to overcome obstacles and find the joy and blessings that await me on the other side of those obstacles. And I really think there's something about doing the two things at once--the hiking and the listening. Because I tried just listening to conference talks on a day when I didn't get my hike in, and I wasn't nearly as focused. I just think there's a definite connection between physical journeys and mental journeys, and I like that by listening to these uplifting talks while I hike, I get a two-in-one journey :)

Some favorite talks I've heard lately (all from the April 2014 conference):


And really, I could link to all of them, because they've all been great. I invite you to read any of these talks, because I know that the messages can bring you greater peace and happiness in your life, and I know that they can bring you closer to Jesus Christ.

 photo AshleySIG_zpsf3e0719e.png

Comments

  1. i read this post in a hurry when you first posted it and forgot to comment - so i'm back. :) ashley i am SERIOUSLY impressed - not only with you making a goal and pushing yourself to do something hard, but that Y hike is seriously tough! in fact, you have inspired me to try and do something similar on my own. it is SO important to set goals for ourselves, it makes us feel like we are progressing and helps us become better people. you are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVEEE this idea! I want to be you when I grow up, you always have the best ideas!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave some comment love! And if you're a no-reply blogger, check back here for my replies :)

Popular posts from this blog

our first murder mystery

5 on friday

it's a love story {part 5}