busy, lovely weekend {including mother's day}

We had a crazy, busy weekend two weeks ago, and we just kept that vibe going last weekend.

Friday
On Friday my work treated all employees to Captain America: Civil War during the last few hours of the work day (getting paid to see a movie? yes please!). Last minute they sent out an email saying they had extra tickets if we wanted to bring a +1, so I invited Russ along and we started date night early.

Following the movie, Lacey called us and asked us if we'd be interested in having dinner with her and her new boyfriend. I definitely wanted to meet this kid! We had J Dawgs for dinner and Culver's custard for dessert, all while talking and getting to know each other. It was a lot of fun!

I had plans for date night, but after all that talking, I was tired and it was late-ish (like 8) so we decided to call it a night. Actually, we decided I would go to my parents' house to start setting up garage sale stuff, and Russ would go home haha :) It worked out though, because that's really the only time I had to help prep the garage sale.

When I got home from prepping, I was so tired, and I just laid on Russ's lap while he finished up with what he was watching. He stroked my hair and was just so sweet . . . I love little moments like that :)

Saturday
It's turned into a sort of annual thing that my mom, my sister-in-law Amy, and I have a joint garage sale. This was the first garage sale for which I really didn't have that much. I hadn't had much time to go through anything, and I really did more de-junking before moving into our house last year, so there's not too much that we have that I wanted to get rid of. The sale was scheduled from 8-12, and I was there that whole time but had to duck out right at 12 to meet some girlfriends for lunch. I found out later that I made $120 in the garage sale, which I thought was pretty great considering I could only think of like four things that sold for more than like $3 (and those four things sold for $5 and $7). I definitely felt like the preparation and involvement time was time well spent!

At 12:30 I met Sarah and Caroline for lunch at the Wild Zucchini Grill. It was my first time there, but it was super good and I definitely recommend it. (I got chicken pasta, in case you're looking for a specific recommendation.) What I love about meeting up with Saraline is that it's always like no time has passed at all. We met our freshman year of college, so whenever we get together, we often act like freshmen which is both embarrassing and so much fun. We talked about boys and babies and jobs and politics and we laughed a whole lot, because we're all funnier when we're together, I'm pretty sure :) After lunch we headed to Beyond Glaze for donuts because it's my birthday week :) Those two SHARED a donut, while I got a box of 6 because I can never choose just one :) (To be clear, I did not eat all 6 in that one sitting.) I wish I remember some of the things we cracked up at, but alas, I do not.


I was supposed to meet up with Laynah at 3, but luckily, she left Rexburg late so I got a little break in all the craziness. During that break I went grocery shopping, did some laundry, tidied the house, and watched TV with Russ.

Laynah didn't end up getting to my house until after 8 because she decided to do a session at the Salt Lake Temple, but again, it worked out because I needed a break in there! She was on her way back to California, so she had Bones with her and I finally got to meet him. Haha it was so fun watching him run all around my house. Laynah and I only had an hour or an hour and a half together, and during that time, I gave her a tour of the house, made mac'n'cheese and we ate it, and we chatted. Sometimes I still can't believe that I made one of my best friends through blogging. So fun! :)


Sunday
I grew up in a home where Sunday dinner was always a big production. However, due to my dislike of meal planning and cooking, Sunday dinners at my house are quite often super low-key -- we're talking Mac'n'cheese or frozen pizza! But this Sunday, it was Mother's Day, and I had invited my parents, my brother's family, and my sister-in-law's brother (who was living with my parents for a few weeks) over for dinner, so a real meal obviously had to be made :)

I woke up with the sun (I've been thinking more and more about room darkening shades . . . haha!) and started prepping the chicken because my mom had requested Chicken Cordon Bleu. Russ woke up when I was almost done, so he helped me by handing me a piece of cheese every time I needed one :) He also made some yummy banana bread while I finished things up :)

Throughout the rest of the morning, there was some relaxing and then we got ready for church . . . Russ honored my Mother's Day wish (really, I had actually been asking him to do this for weeks, but I tacked on the "Mother's Day gift" part in the days leading up to Mother's Day, so I think that's how I finally got it!) and trimmed his mountain man beard. It had been growing out for MONTHS and it was ridiculously long, but he didn't want to shave it because he feels like his face looks fat without facial hair. I told him numerous times -- you don't have to shave it! Just trim it! -- and he finally did that day :)

Next we went to church. Haha in the final hour, when they were announcing birthdays in the upcoming week, the girl said, "Annndd there are no birthdays this week." To which I nearly shouted, "Not true!" Haha which was a little embarrassing, but also super funny, and it was a room full of mostly 12-18 year olds, so I didn't feel too self-conscious ;) Don't worry guys, I got my birthday song and treat :) Also, when I told Russ this story, he said, "I have zero trouble imagining that scenario." Haha boy knows I like my attention, especially when it comes to birthdays ;)

After church, we had about two hours before people came for dinner, and we were in the kitchen pretty much that entire time. Luckily, it didn't feel stressful, though. Timing kind of worked out for all the different things I had to be doing, and Russ was in there the whole time with me working on cookies, so it was fun to be working together :) All in all, we made the chicken, sauce, rice, from-a-bag-but-super-tasty rolls, and cookies.

Shortly after 5, everyone showed up. Amy brought a green salad and a fruit salad, and mom brought freezer jam (I didn't want to make her work on Mother's Day!). We ate delicious food together and chatted. The boys did the few dishes there were after we finished. Then we chatted some more and played Catch Phrase.

Amy brought me a card and some chocolate for Mother's Day :) Mom got me a Willow Tree statue -- the one I knew I wanted but I hadn't thought much about it yet and didn't even tell her! (I just knew I wanted it from previous times of looking at the statues when I was not married, let alone pregnant.)

via
It was sweet :) It was fun to have everyone there for dinner. Mom was especially grateful which made me feel good :)

I have always felt like Mother's Day should honor all women, whether they're "mothers" or not. And not even because women can mother children that aren't their own. Rather, because all women have the potential to be mothers, and I guess I think that potential is enough. But even though I feel that way, Mother's Day did feel a bit different this year with our sweet baby girl on the way. I thought a lot about what it means to be a mother and how much growing I have to do. I rubbed my belly and talked to Ada a little bit. I just can't wait to be her mother :)

I asked Russ a few times for a certain Mother's Day gift, but he didn't get the hint so in the end I just bought it for myself ;) The bar says "rushley<3" -- which is the mash-up of our names that we and Russ's family use pretty much all the time -- and the circle has an "a" for our little Ada :) I also got two more stamped circles for our next girl and boy (whom we have names for), and I'm just hoping that Kamarie is still stamping jewelry by the time we get to baby #4 (or baby girl #3)! I really love how it turned out, and I love carrying my family around my neck :)



Here goes the cliche, but I'm seriously so blessed. I have a wonderful family, wonderful in-laws, and I especially love the little family that Russ and I have started together. It was a happy weekend in a happy life :)



**ashleynicole

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

our first murder mystery

5 on friday

it's a love story {part 5}