i'm a big kid now! {new job}

Say whatttt?!? You mean I've been unemployed since my graduation in April and I finally got a job?! Yup, that's right!

There are several reasons why I waited a while to get a job. First, I applied for one soon after graduation and didn't get it. Even though I eventually figured out that I was actually grateful I didn't get that one, my ego was still a little bruised. Second, we had our new house that I wanted to focus on! Third, job searching is about one of my least favorite things.

Soon after not getting the job in June, I started thinking about Boostability. I had a friend who was always posting the fun things she got to do with her coworkers. It made it seem like a really good atmosphere to work in. So I thought about applying several times, but I just didn't make the effort. Then, a few months ago, when our house was finally feeling complete, I checked the website again to make sure they were still hiring, only to find that they were not! I was a little mad at myself for not applying when they had been hiring for like three whole months, but I didn't get too worked up about it because I wasn't super anxious to get a job anyway.

Then, in November I got an email about a junior content editor job opening there. Not only was it a job opening in the place I wanted to work, but the email came from someone I had actually had an editing class with, and had even been in my same 4-person group in that class! It was a sign! Haha :)

So I spent the next month applying, keeping it secret from everyone in my family, including Russ. There was the resume, the editing test, and a video interview. I had stories about all of the different things that happened while I was applying--things I was worried about, things I was proud of--and I had to keep them all to myself to keep it secret! After the video interview, it took two whole weeks for them to get back to me, so I was keeping the secret for quite a while! But they finally got back to me and asked me to come in for an interview.

Guys. Interviews are my least favorite part. Up until this interview, I just didn't know how to do them! Well here's what I learned: prepare! I thought I had prepared for past interviews, but I did much more for this interview. I looked up a list of 50 questions you're most likely to be asked in an interview and I typed up my answers, contemplating what stories could best illustrate my talents, personality, and skills. And you know what? My pre-determined stories worked for every single question they asked me, and I felt so awesome about it! When I left that interview, I knew I had done everything in my power to show them who I was and what I could do for them.

The crazy thing about the interview, though, was that I was actually sick that day. Not with a cold or anything, but I was diabetes-sick. My pump wasn't working, and I didn't have a needle, so by the time I finally got insulin (after my interview), my blood sugar was crazy high. It turned out to be my worst diabetes day ever in my life (I've been diabetic for 14 years), a day that I maybe should have even been in the hospital for. But I was so grateful to make it through the interview . . . It was literally right after I finished that it really started to hit me, but I managed to still give off a great impression. It was truly such a blessing from the Lord, and He really listened to my many prayers asking for help in the interview.

The next day, they called to offer me the job! I was super happy about it, and especially happy that I could finally tell Russ about it! He has been super great throughout these several months, continuing to work hard at his full-time job while I've had a lot more time to play and relax. I've known he has wanted me to get a job, but he's never been pushy about it. I knew if I didn't get this job, I probably wouldn't feel up to applying for more jobs right away, so I didn't want to get his hopes up and have him thinking I was ready to go full-throttle on the job search when I wasn't sure whether or not I was. But now that I had gotten the job, it was time to tell him!

I wrote on a little notecard, "I got a job!" and wrapped it up in a box. I told him I had a Christmas present I couldn't wait to give him! When he opened it, he really was surprised! It's hard to pull off keeping something from your spouse for a month, and he and I don't ever keep anything from each other, so we have no reason to suspect the other person is keeping something from us. He was pretty blown away that I had gone through a whole job application process without telling him about it, and I was pretty excited to finally tell him all my pent-up stories! Haha :)

One of the great things about the job? They wanted me to start January 4th instead of right away, so I didn't have to worry about missing anything Christmasy! It also gave me almost a full month to adjust to the idea of working no-time to working full-time. I'm trying to squeeze all my fun and laziness into this last month, and then starting in January, I'll be a busy girl. Haha :) I'm super excited to have an editing job at a great place though. I'm sure it will be great to work there! :)

 photo AshleySIG_zpsf3e0719e.png

Comments

  1. wohooooo!!! that's so awesome!! and perfect timing (starting after the holidays)! congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! Could of told me though, my cousin owns boostability! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! That is so exciting! I don't think I would have been able to keep it a secret for that long haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're going to have to tell me all about it! I feel like everyone who I made friends with in the editing minor has gotten a job at Boostability. Sometimes when I'm having a hard time being away from home, Jared will ask me, "Ok, but what would you be doing now if we had never left Utah?" And my answer is always, "I guess I'd probably be working at Boostability." Haha. Congrats on the big job, and on not having to job hunt anymore!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave some comment love! And if you're a no-reply blogger, check back here for my replies :)

Popular posts from this blog

our first murder mystery

5 on friday

it's a love story {part 5}