thanksgiving 2016

For our four years of marriage, we've rotated which family we spend holidays with. This year it was time for a Holmes Thanksgiving. Planning ahead, I knew that I probably wouldn't want to drive up to Boise (where Mom and Dad live, 6 hours away) with a new-ish baby, and I also knew I wouldn't want to host. But my sister-in-law Lacey, who lives just under an hour away, just bought a house this year, so I thought maybe she'd be interested in hosting. Lucky for me, she was! So she hosted Mom and Dad Holmes; Lance, Mackenzi, and Zander; Russ, Ada, and me; and Russ's cousin, Amber.

Having a baby sure does change things. Maybe not everyone is this way, but I felt kind of distracted/preoccupied because of her. Thanksgiving happened around her worst nap of the day, so Russ and I kept having to go in to calm her because she was screaming. We also took turns holding her while actually eating Thanksgiving dinner, which we hadn't really done up to this point (hadn't held her while eating, to clarify). Also, there were just so many people and so much going on that I worried about all the extra noise and stimulation for Ada. I know some memories and thoughts were shared around the Thanksgiving table, but unfortunately I didn't really get to hear them because, as I said, I was a bit distracted and I was in and out. Dinner was great and I in no way blame the family for my feelings -- it was just a different experience. Having a baby has certainly made me more high-strung!

That being said, I know this is just a phase for me and for Ada, so I'll hopefully get more used to having a baby and not worry about every little thing, and she'll get older and (hopefully) easier in some ways.


Following dinner, we played Heads Up for a bit. Russ, Lance, and Mackenzi were definitely the most committed to acting things out! My favorites were probably Russ acting out "marriage" and Mackenzi acting out "going upstairs." I was sitting right by Russ, so my thought was to turn to him and kiss him, but he stood up and started acting out a whole marriage processional! And Mackenzi was at first trying to go upstairs in the air, but then there was a footstool right in front of her so she ended up using that, too. It was just funny, but maybe you had to be there :)

After that, we watched "That Thing You Do," which I think is a Thanksgiving tradition for the Holmeses because I remember watching it at our first Thanksgiving after being married :) (our second Holmes Thanksgiving was spent at the Shayne and Stephanie Holmes home, and they don't have that tradition). Because Ada didn't take a good nap, she was so sleepy, so Russ and I took turns cuddling her, which was fun and cute because we usually don't hold her while she sleeps (trying to build good habits and all 😜). When she woke up, she spent some time smiling at Papa T and Granny B :)










We also took a quick family pic because both Ada and I were actually dressed and cute! (That never happens. She lives in jammies at home and I live in sweats. We'll get there eventually, but we're just not there yet!)


So in all honesty, Thanksgiving was a little stressful for me this year. But truly, anytime Ada and I leave the house, it's a little stressful. This whole mom thing is just a bit different than I imagined it would be, but I still wouldn't trade it.

I'm most thankful for:
The Gospel
Russ
Ada
Both our families
Our house (and yard!)

The day after Thanksgiving, Lance and Mackenzi had us over to decorate gingerbread houses! There was sooooo much candy and it was fun being all together again :) I had to feed Ada right when we got there, so by the time I started my house, everyone was already using any clever ideas I had thought of, so I just decided to make an ugly house using a lot of different candies :) It was fun to share in one of Mackenzi's family traditions :)

Dad, me, Mom, Lance
Russ, Lacey, Mackenzi
Then that evening, Mom and Dad (Holmes) stayed the night with us. They were kind enough to offer to watch Ada while we went out, so for the first time since she came home from the NICU, we went out together! We got dinner at Cubby's and dessert at Kneader's; then we picked up a few groceries at Walmart. It. Was. Perfect. I used to think a "dinner and a movie" date was lame, but now that we have a baby, any time alone together is just heavenly. I have thought so many times since we've had Ada, "I just wish Russ could come to the grocery store WITH me like old times!" So it was great to be able to do that. I sure love that man of mine :)




**ashleynicole

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

our first murder mystery

5 on friday

it's a love story {part 5}